I don’t mean to be overdramatic…
But if I could only eat sweet potatoes in one form for the rest of my life, it would be as these miso-roasted sweet potato wedges. They’re so good I made them two weeks in a row. You know… for taste-testing purposes 😉
One thing I’m really proud of from 2020 is how I’ve embraced new flavors in my cooking. Last year I tried my hand at Thai food, Chinese food, Korean food, Greek food, Italian food… the list goes on. It’s been really fun experimenting with different flavors and learning from different cultures. These Sweet & Spicy Miso Sweet Potato Wedges are inspired by Asian cuisine. They get their sweetness from a little pure maple syrup, their bite from chili paste and ginger, and their ‘umami’ (or savoriness) from miso. It’s an incredible combination and gives a ton of depth of flavor.
I like to finish them off by drizzling a homemade Green Goddess Sauce on top. It’s not necessary, but it really makes them over-the-top. I make mine from cashews, lemon juice, and lots of fresh herbs. It’s super creamy, cooling, and balances out the subtle punch of the wedges. The recipe below will make a big batch (more than you’ll need for drizzling on the sweet potatoes), and I love storing leftovers in a mason jar in the fridge. It makes an amazing salad dressing, veggie dipping sauce, and even a great base for potato or chicken salads.
If you give this recipe a try, I hope you love it as much as we do.Print
Sweet & Spicy Miso Sweet Potato Wedges with Green Goddess Sauce
Where to start? These are truly my favorite sweet potato wedges I’ve ever made. I would eat them every day if I could. Sweet and a little spicy, with an ‘umami’ savoriness from the miso paste… the sauce on them is just amazing. I love topping them with my homemade vegan green goddess sauce for a little something extra (and a fun pop of color!).
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side dishes
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Gluten Free
Sweet & Spicy Miso Sweet Potato Wedges:
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, or 2 large
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons miso paste
- 2 teaspoons chili paste with garlic*
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Green Goddess Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup cilantro, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup parsley, lightly packed
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 425º F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Chop your sweet potatoes into long, thin wedges.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients (sesame oil through ginger). Add your sweet potato wedges, and toss until well-coated.
- Place sweet potato wedges on baking sheet, making sure the wedges are not touching or overlapping. (They need room in order to crisp up the way we want them to!) Place in the oven, and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, combine all green goddess ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend on high power until a smooth, creamy sauce forms.
- Remove sweet potato wedges from the oven, and drizzle with green goddess. Sprinkle with extra chopped herbs, if desired.
- Serve, and enjoy!
* You should be able to find chili paste with garlic in the international foods section of the grocery store, or at Asian food markets. You can also substitute with Sambal Oelek.
Keywords: sweet potato wedges, miso sweet potatoes, miso sweet potato wedges, sweet and spicy sweet potatoes, sweet and spicy potato wedges