Chocolate milk makes a great recovery drink for a number of reasons: it has both protein and easily-digestible carbs; it’s hydrating; and it’s quick, convenient, and tasty. But dairy milk doesn’t sit well in all stomachs (mine included 🙋🏻♀️) – so I set out to make a recovery shake recipe that checked all those same boxes, but was plant-based and allergy-friendly.
- Is hydrating and packed with electrolytes — Thanks to coconut water and banana
- Has the quick-digesting carbs your body needs after a hard workout — Carbs = quick fuel for restoring glycogen stores and repairing muscles. This shake has two good sources, in banana and dark chocolate.
- Contains protein for muscle repair — I used hemp and chia seeds, both good sources of plant-based protein
- Is protein-powder free — I love and use protein powders regularly. BUT, protein powders aren’t budget-friendly for everyone, so I wanted to provide a healthy, hassle-free alternative you can make at home.
- Is totally plant-based — Making this shake friendly for a lot of different stomachs and diet types. If whey or milk proteins make you stomach feel icky, try blending a shake – like this one – with fruits and seeds.
Taste testers also went crazy for this shake, and confirm it makes a great snack, post-workout or not 😉Print
Superpowered Chocolate Milk Recovery Shake (df, vegan)
This shake tastes like an old-fashioned Yoo-Hoo from your childhood – but is packed with everything you need to effectively jumpstart recovery post-workout: hydration and electrolytes, and a mix of protein and easily-digestible carbs.
Bonus: it’s totally plant-based, and free of expensive protein powders, making it allergy-friendly, and gentle on even the most sensitive of stomachs!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 2
- Total Time: 7 minutes
- Yield: 1 large 24 oz. shake, or 2 small 12 oz. shakes 1x
- Category: Smoothies and shakes
- Cuisine: Healthy
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 medium frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 20 grams 85% dark chocolate (roughly 1/4, or 1–2 squares, of a bar. I used Trader Joe’s 85% Dark Chocolate Bar)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup ice
Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.