Yet another healthy snack for your arsenal — these Soft & Chewy Chunky Monkey Cookies are high in fiber, healthy fats, and flavonoids (along with all the other good things) found in high-quality dark chocolate.
If you like crumbly cookies, these are not for you. If you love soft and chewy cookies, you will LOVE these! This recipe makes a big batch to get you (and friends) through a full week. We usually pack 2 per day for our afternoon snack, and we find they hold us over perfectly until dinner.
- 4 medium super-ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup natural almond butter *See notes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, plus more for topping
- 1 medium less-ripe banana, for slicing on top
- Preheat your oven to 350º F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the mashed banana, almond butter, almond milk, and vanilla, and stir until smooth and well-combined.
- Next, add the oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir until well-incorporated.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips and walnut pieces. Dough will be thick and sticky.
- Use a cookie or ice cream scoop to divide the batter into cookie-sized mounds on the baking sheets. Sprinkle with more chocolate chips and walnut pieces, and press a banana slice into the top of each cookie.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a baking rack.
Notes: Almond butter should be the natural, drippy kind (AKA not the consistency of a processed Jif or Skippy peanut butter). Don’t use the hard, crunchy almond butter at the bottom of the jar.