I made these pancakes for our Christmas Day brunch – and again on New Year’s Day, because they were that good.
These pancakes come out delightfully golden in color, and all the warming gingerbread spices will make your house smell amazing while cooking. They are hearty enough to stick with you for hours afterwards, but light and fluffy in texture – just how we like our pancakes around here.
The key for these was finding the just-right blend of flours. I used a combination of oat, almond, and coconut to not only make them not only gluten-free, but super healthy and nutrient-dense, and also to give them that perfect texture I was looking for.
Speaking of nutrients – these are sweetened with coconut sugar and molasses, both of which are low-glycemic and won’t give you a 2 PM sugar crash after eating. Molasses is also super mineral-rich and has a whole host of health benefits on its own – especially for runners.
There are so many fun ways to dress these up, too! A few ideas:
- Coconut whipped cream (store-bought, or you can make it homemade, like we did. I love Minimalist Baker’s recipe)
- Maple cashew cream frosting (I love this recipe from Cotter Crunch)
- Fresh berries and drippy almond butter
- Coconut oil or grass-fed butter, and real maple syrup (classic)
Perfectly Fluffy Gluten-Free Gingerbread Pancakes
These gingerbread pancakes are festive enough for the holidays, or hosting a great Winter brunch with friends – but just as good on a random Saturday morning in.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 medium pancakes 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Healthy
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk, or plant-based milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Grease a large griddle or pan, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flours, coconut sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, beat your eggs. Add in milk, molasses, and oil, and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add your wet ingredients into the dry, and stir together until fully-combined and well-incorporated. Be careful not to overstir.
- Let batter sit for 10 minutes. This step is very important!
- With a few minutes left to go, start preheating your griddle over medium heat.
- Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, spoon your batter onto the griddle, and let cook about 3 minutes (or until the edges are bubbly). Flip, and repeat on the opposite side, until pancakes are cooked through.
- Dress with desired toppings, and serve warm! Enjoy!
Keywords: pancakes, healthy pancakes, gluten free pancakes, healthy baking, gingerbread, gingerbread pancakes, gluten free baking