It’s no secret we love pancakes around here. I’ve done a lot of pancake recipes on the blog, but this one has been a recent favorite. As the weather gets warmer and you’re craving lighter, fresher flavors – try these Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Pancakes, served with an amazing maple cinnamon cream cheese frosting.
It takes a little bit of extra effort to peel and grate your own carrots, and to whip up a separate topping – but it’s a labor of love that’s well worth it, I promise! This is a great Sunday brunch idea for a group – or just a small weekend indulgence for two.
Carrot Cake Pancakes
These wholesome carrot cake pancakes are made with oats, lots of warming spices, and sweetened with applesauce and a touch of maple syrup. They’re also the perfect vehicle for my healthy vegan cream cheese frosting. Yum!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Pancakes
- Cuisine: Healthy
Carrot cake pancakes:
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (about 1 large carrot)
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or other mild-flavor cooking oil of choice)
Cream cheese frosting:
- 8 ounces plain vegan cream cheese (Kite Hill has my favorite consistency)
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- First, grate and peel 1 large carrot, or as needed to produce 1/2 cup shredded. Place between two paper towels, and squeeze as much moisture out as possible. Place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add oat flour, baking powder, salt, and spices, and mix.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat 2 eggs. Add applesauce, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and avocado oil. Mix.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet, and stir until just well-incorporated.
- Let batter sit for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a large skillet and heat over low-medium heat.
- Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to spoon batter onto the skillet. Cook roughly 3 minutes each side, or until the edges are bubbly and the opposite side is a golden brown. Flip and repeat. Transfer to a large plate.
- While pancakes are cooling, prepare your cream cheese frosting. Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat vegan cream cheese, maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon until light and fluffy. Dress pancakes with the cream cheese frosting, and enjoy!
Keywords: pancakes, carrot cake, carrot cake pancakes, gluten-free pancakes, healthy pancakes, healthy carrot cake